Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

pricing fleeces? help!

Since I only want to help cover the costs of having my shearer shear my sheep in the spring, I don't know if I'm charging too much for my fleeces or not...is $20 for the realy big, soft, nice fleeces and $15 for the yearling lamb fleeces too much? Our new feeding program leaves little vegetable matter in the fleeces now. The ones that seems to felt on the outside or otherwise feel or look poorly, I sell those for maybe $5 for someone to ouse for batting and craft projects. The other day I was made to feel I was charging too much...I feel bad if that's really the case. My shearer takes off the lowest part of the sides and britching and belly wool, leaving a nice big fleece that's trimmed. Can you tell me?? I don't want to overcharge! I haven't broke even yet this year, I still have at least 12 very pretty fleeces to sell....and I can't go to the weekend events where they sell fleeces because that's when I have to be here to teach lessons, so people have to come here. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I think your prices are reasonable. If people there don't appreciate the good deal, you could advertise on the Yahoo Spinning list and other places, where I've seen them priced higher.

Alaska Shetland Shepherd said...

Thank you Michelle...I know that people who buy roving up here also have to pay $1.40 a pound for having it mailed here, plus the box weight too..but I want to be very reasonable. I'd rather sell them all quickly and be done for the year rather than holding onto them in a place I don't have space to store them :-)

Sharon in Surrey said...

I think your fleeces are Extremely reasonable & will take a couple of lamb fleeces if you'll ship to Vancouver, BC!!! I do enjoy your Blog & keep up the good work!!!