Search This Blog

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Update on the preemie....


I tried to hold her up with my left hand while my right held the camera way back so that you could see how small she is for almost 2 weeks old?



On April 15th, we had a preemie born in the unregistered flock to a first time mom. I blogged about her on the 18th. Well, here we are more than a week and a half later, and her teeth are still covered. Yes, they really are. She is so tiny, half the size of any lamb out of the 17 out there right now. Her mother is very devoted to her and she feeds her often. The little black girl is the center of attention from all of the herding students too. When you nuzzle her she tries to suck on your chin ;-) All she has to do is wail for mom and mom is right there, calling up to her to make sure she's alright. Quite a very odd situation, I have no idea why this little lamb is still alive and thriving, even tho she is so very tiny. And what's even more odd (and the thought is scary!), her mom is still as round as if she were still pregnant. Uh oh. Please tell me that she is NOT. I just don't say never and can't anymore when it comes to animals, we'll just go with the flow and see what happens! Oh yes, in case you're thinking what I'm thinking, I have frozen sheep colostrum waiting in the freezer, just in case....

2 comments:

Nancy K. said...

She is SO tiny! And she's TWO WEEKS old in this picture?? Have you weighed her?

Alaska Shetland Shepherd said...

I haven't weighed her, I'm guilty! I should tho. She was so tiny when she was born, you could curl her up when you cupped both hands together. I really never expected her to survive, I have no idea how she's done it other than her mom being soooo devoted to her every whim. She plays with the other lambs but not too much since she easily gets knocked over because she's just so much smaller than all of them.