Search This Blog

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Still Waiting

It's that time of year. For some, the crocus are popping up. For others, the grasses are green. And still for some of us in the northern tier, the snow is deep and still falling out of the sky on occasion. But, for all Shetland breeders, it's time for lambs to start appearing. Do you have lambs already? I don't. My girls are tucked in nightly, in the morning it's like holding your breath - the gate opens and they slowly head on out to their hay. As the numbers thin out, I look in their shed to see if anyone is staying behind, or if there's a new little body or two back in the corners. Nope, nothing yet. I find myself wandering out there more often now. I'll pick up the binoculars in the house and peer out there carefully in between my wanderings. Usually I don't have lambs until late March, but one year they appeared in February so I've learned to turn on the watch mode earlier now. I'm not pacing, but I'm certainly more alert!

How about you???

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'm waiting for Inky to pop in three weeks. Either she's going to have triplets, BIG twins, or she simply has no muscle tone after lambing seven times already. The others will lamb after that. Since the gulmoget I used is also fawn, I could get all sorts of beautiful colors from my little flock!

I would love to see a photo of a more grown-up Blanche.... :-) Does she have a huge fleece like her mom?