Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My horses

These are my boys... Barney, my tall Percheron, wears a bell so that when they and the cattle head off into the woods, we know where they are by listening...the lead cow also wears a bell. I bought the old Swiss bells in Switzerland back in 2001 when I visited puppy owners there. They are melodious bells, very pretty in sound, and all have a different pitch. I can tell who is where. Laying down is my Quarter Horse, Sox, that I've owned since he was still 2 and green broke...he is now 28. He sleeps VERY soundly...Barney stands over him as his watchman....
I have a special relationship with Sox, I have always been able to walk up to him when he's out flat and pet him without him jumping up. He's always lain flat-out like that...scared the heck out of me the first few times he did it! HA!


2 comments:

Kathy said...

It's clear that Sox trusts you! I had a mare I was close to and she did the same thing - would remain lying down even with me next to her patting her. We were the best of buds. (I miss having horses)
Your animals sure fell into a good home. :)

Alaska Shetland Shepherd said...

Thank you Kathy!!! Glad you visited my posts. :-) My old boy is something else, still full of himself. Hope you're doing well there too!