Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sleeping Beauty's new lamb

Good morning! Spring is here in full force and that means little time in the house - and little blogging - when the weather is good. But I needed to take time to type just to announce that we have yet another beautiful registered lamb in the flock as of yesterday. Minwawe Sleeping Beauty gave birth to a very large single lamb, and, if you've been following my blog, then you've guessed it - it's a girl! She's a beauty too......mostly white with only a few big round black spots on her front half and big Yuglet eye markings along with the black muzzle that Topple passes along to his lambs. Yes Topple. You see, Sleeping Beauty was with Peyton, the Gulmoget. But Peyton doesn't seem to have 'done anything' this time around - the only girl in his pen that has shown any signs of pregnancy is Sleeping Beauty and that is because 5 months ago, according to my calender, I heard a loud crash and saw Topple clearing the fence while I was doing barn chores. By the time I put back one of the dairy goats I was taking out to milk so I could get out there and grab him, the 'deed' was done. Boy was I mad! Perhaps Topple was frustrated that his neighbor wasn't taking care of things. So I marked the event down on the calendar and yesterday, his daughter made her grand arrival in the sunshine of a warm day. So, Peyton, we don't quite know what has happened to you, we have no lambs from you this year even tho you were quite happy living with your girls since last fall, all through the winter, and into spring. But, at least Topple took over and we have a lovely little girl to be thankful for!

10 registered ewes have given birth with one more due soon. So far, the count is 8 ewe lambs and 2 ram lambs.

For the unregistered working flock, they have finally finished lambing including the yearlings. 23 lambs running around like crazy!

4 comments:

Angela Rountree said...

Congratulations on your new ewe lamb. It is interesting that your gulmoget ram lamb didn't do much last fall; mine didn't either. I wonder if it is a coincidence or that gulmogets are slower to sexually mature?

Kara said...

My gully yearling ewe had a beautiful ram lamb for me...so maybe only the rams are slow to mature. Good to know though, as I do like to use the younger rams. I better not put all my eggs in one basket so to speak. Congrats on your ewe lamb!

Alaska Shetland Shepherd said...

Well let's hope that the Gul boys are slower to mature! It's hard to give them another whole year and end up with another 'no lambs' year too, isn't it! So w'll proceed cautiously and give him another 3 ewes this fall to 'mature' with....hehehehe...

Michelle said...

We think of Shetlands as the can-do sheep, but I suppose "duds" do occur. I know Lois had one, a ram she bought. Let's hope that's not the case in Peyton, because I know how much is involved to get sheep up there!